It is a known fact that kunu business is capable of making someone financially buoyant. Many of the people I encountered in this business can attest to this. I wrote an article on kunu aya business, the marketing strategy I outlined in that post can be used in kunu zaki drink business for optimum success. Click here if you want to learn how to do kunu aya business.
Kunu zaki is a popular drink consumed throughout Nigeria especially in the Northern part where it originate from. It is also consumed by other African countries such as Niger, Chad, Ghana etc. Kunu is made from millet,sorghum and maybe maize. But it is hard to see the ones made from maize. Millet kunu and maize are milky white in colour whereas that of sorghum is brownish white just like tea made from chocolate (milo) mixed with milk.
It is rich in Vitamins and Minerals, spiced up with nutty fruits for flavour and taste. The drink is high in fibre and protein, well-loved by many both young and old. Kunu zaki drink is very refreshing, nourishing and highly medicinal to the body.
There is much difference between kunu aya and kunu zaki. For kuny aya the main ingredient is tiger nuts while that of kunu zaki is . Their method of preparation is also slightly different. Of the two kunu zaki is more popular and consumed. This is because people first knew about kunu zaki which has been in the market for a longer time before kunu aya came on board.
As popular as kunu zaki drink is with its increasing demand very few are into the business. This makes it a green area for entrepreneurs to take advantage. To start kunu zaki business you have to learn how to produce original kunu from professionals or people who have been in the business for a long time now. You have to find out the type customers prefer in your location before starting. In Akwa Ibom many consumers prefer the type that is thick like pap and the add milk to it the way milk is added to tea.
Kunu zaki is best enjoyed when cold but there is kunu tsamiya or gyada which can be eaten hot. In this post I will give a step by step guide on how to prepare the two kinds of kunu mentioned here.
THE REASON YOU SHOULD START KUNU ZAKI DRINK BUSINESS
The start up capital is low, with as little as #5,000 or less you can start the business. In fact most of the people who are into this business started with this amount.
The demand is high people who are already in the business cannot meet up with the demand. This is to tell you that you have a greater opportunity for market value. In Akwa Ibom State you can count the number of people who are doing the business.
In a particular market where my sister has a shop it is only one lady that occasionally supplies her and few others with original kunu. The second person supplies thick kunu. If you are someone who has stayed in the north you before want like it.
The business has a very good profit. You can make 3 times the amount you spent in preparing the kunu zaki drink.
You can easily add kunu zaki drink business with other ones such as; other drinks, snacks, cooked food etc.
From the comfort of your home you can start this business and grow it.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR KUNU ZAKI DRINK BUSINESS
- Cooler and fridge, very important.
- Stirring rod
- Funnel and cups
- Grinding machine
- Source of fire
HOW TO PREPARE KUNU ZAKI DRINK
- 6 cups of millet or sorghum (de-hulled)
- 4 medium size potatoes (peeled)
- 2 sizeable ginger
- 1 tablespoon of sugar or as desired
- Few drops of cloves (konofiri)
- This ones are optional; groundnut and dates.
- Select dirt, chaff and stones out from the grains. Turn them into a big bowl of water; let the water cover the miller. Soak the grains overnight or 48 hours to ferment. Wash them with clean water properly.
- Add ginger, cloves (known as konofiri). Add groundnut whether raw or fried and dates if you are using them.
- Grind everything if you have the machine or you take it to commercial grinders. Use water to grind the grains so that it can be fast and thoroughly blended to a paste. Pound the potatoes and add to it.
- Divide the smooth paste into two. One part should be more than the other. Pour hot water on the paste that is more and stir very well, just the same way you prepare pap. Add some cold water to the small paste and stir. Mix the two solutions together and stir very well. This is what brings out the original kunu taste. If you heat everything up it will come out like normal pap.
- Use a clean material like the ones used in washing pap to sieve the kunu. Remove the chaff and sell to people raising farm animals. Some people throw them away, well it can be a source of manure to your farm. Use enough water to sieve it.
- Allow it to settle for about 7 hours then turn out the clear water on top of the paste leaving behind the thick mixture. Kunu zaki should be watery, add some water if it is too thick or as you wish.
- Package the drink and put them in the refrigerator.
You can carry them to schools, offices, markets for sale or you supply the kunu zaki drinks to retailers at a discount price. Package the drink in different sizes of containers ranging from 50cl, 60cl, 1 litre etc. You can only package in 5 litres and the rest on request.
Keep producing quality kunu zaki drink and attract people that are celebrating birthdays, weddings, naming ceremonies etc for supply.
Life is about variety or as it is said that variety is the spice of life. Therefore prepare your kunu zaki drink with your own style. You can add honey to spice your kunu up; to serve as sweetener or flavour.
HOW TO PREPARE KUNU GYADA
- White rice
- Groundnut (raw or fried)
- Tsamiya (tamarind) it also serve as a flavour
- Source of fire
- Wash the rice and soak in water
- Grind the groundnut and pour hot water into the groundnut paste and stir.
- Place the pot of groundnut solution on fire and allow to boil.
- Add the rice you can grind it before adding, personally I add it like that. Keep stirring the mixture on fire so that it will not burn. Also watch it or rather uncover the pot so that it will not spill over or you reduce the fire to medium.
- Stir until you have a consistency and allow it to simmer in other to cook well. Bring it down when it thickens.
- Turn in the tamarind and stir. Put sugar and milk into it and serve hot.
BENEFITS OF KUNU ZAKI DRINK
- The ginger that is used in the preparation is highly medicinal. It helps in blood regulation.
- It is said that kunu is fattening this is true in the case of kunu gyada. For kunu zaki drink it will depend on the quantity you consume. If you take plenty of it often then you are bound to get fat. In case you are a slim person that wants to get fat then try out kunu drink.
- Kunu zaki drink is a good recommendation for vegetarians because it contains a high level of protein.
- This grain is rich in fibre as such is very helpful in constipation.
- It is a rich source of Vitamin B such as Riboflavin, Thiamine etc. Very helpful for liver
Please follow us on Facebook page, and Twitter. Use the comment box for your questions and get a prompt response and don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter below, just enter your name and email address.
Lastly, if you enjoyed this post, why not share with it your friends by making use of the share buttons below the newsletter form! In case you want us to write on any other topic, please let us know in the comments section or contact us.
We appreciate your support Thank you.