Fruit business in Nigeria is very lucrative, many people are yet to know this. It looks cheap and a business that is meant for the few. But if you take a look at it deep down, it may likely be the business that will lift your finally statues. Nigeria population is over 200 million and almost or a good number of persons take fruits everyday. Fruits are demanded for different purposes.
To be different from others in fruit business you have to package it well from so as to attract market value.
The demand for fruits is increasing every day because more people are becoming aware of the health benefits of fruits. They have various vitamins and minerals that are very useful to the body.
There is abundant market for fruits both locally and international. You can become a fruit exporter and be making huge money. Some of the fruits you can export are; mango, oranges, cherry, avocado etc. Avocado has always been in high demand in the international market yet those demands are never met. You can establish avocado plantatation and be exporting to different countries.
Gone are the years you have to wait for five good years before you can start harvesting avocado fruits. With hybrid seedlings under 3 years you have already started harvesting avocado. Hass variety is the most source for variety because they produce many avocado vegetable oil.
Is fruit business profitable?
Fruit business is very profitable any way you choose to do it either in small or large scale.
How to start a fruit business
Choose a good location this is very important if you want to succeed in fruit business. It can be a junction , a central place or where population of buyers are concentrated. Places like; closeness to supermarket, recreation centers, estates, schools, parks etc.
The location should have a space where people driving cars can stop and buy your fruits.
Serve enough capital for your fruit business fortunately you can start small. Even with #1,000 you can start fruit business. If it is only banana or mango start and keep adding other fruits to it until it becomes a large fruit business. On the other hand you can start with #100,000. This capital will give you different fruit types. You can gather the capital from family and friends.
It is only but a few equipment that are required for fruit business. They are;
- Packaging materials
- Take away plates
- Ice cooling box
Fruits and Vegetables you can sell
- Paw paw
- Garden egg
- Udara (Cherry) or African star Apple
How to start a fruit salad business in Nigeria. This is another area to look at. In fruit business you can carve a niche and be known for that.
Fruit Markets in Nigeria
Fruit market in Lagos
Mile 12 is the biggest fruit market in Lagos. Investors go to the North buy fruits in Large quantities transport them to mile 12 for sale. Retailers from different location in Lagos go to Mile 12 for purchase.
In Abuja you can buy fruits and vegetable in Orange market Nyanya or Zuba market. Find out where fruits and vegetables are sold in large quantity in your location every State has at least one.
Different Ways of doing Fruit Business in Nigeria
There are different ways of doing fruit business; you can process into juice, sell fruits on retails or wholesale, travel to states that sell large quantity of fruits buy directly from farmers and sell them off in wholesale prices. You can buy fruits in large quantity from Benue State especially oranges.
A bag of orange can fill 4 baskets and basket can go for #6,000 while a bag of orange can cost #15,000. You can be supplying to supermarkets and grocery stores. Do you know that you can be supplying fruits to Pharmaceutical companies for drug manufacturing.
Why you should Start a Fruit Business
It doesn’t required huge money before you can start. Fruit business can be done by anybody, no special knowledge or qualification is required. Provided you can create time and be dedicated to your fruit business you are good to go.
This business can be diversified to capture other areas thereby increasing profit and expanding in business.Fruits are readily available and there are different fruits all year round since fruits are seasonal. There is high demand for fruits in Nigeria. There are many health benefits of fruits.
Protitability in Fruit Business
Fruit business is very profitable. Watch out, anybody that starts small grows it within a few weeks. Assuming you bought Orange 15k a bag and sell it 30k, or you bought paw paw 100 naira for 1 and sell 200 naira. Calculate the amount you will realise if you sold 20 a day. How about banana, plantain and the rest there is good profit in the business.
Everything is about packaging so devise your own packaging style. To keep adding to the profit process some of the fruits to juice and sell. You need to see how people queue to buy grape juice in the market.
Fruit business ideas
- Buy fruits in small quantities except you are sure of your market population before you can buy in large quantities.
- Make sure you sell fruits off within 3 days of purchase. Fruits are raw and perishable. They lost their freshness every passing day.
- Purchase the fruit people like most in your location more than other fruits.
- Remove any spoilt fruit from the rest so it will not infect others. The fluid that comes out in a spoilt fruit will certainly spoil another if not removed.
- Check the fruits from time to time to separate deteriorating ones.
- Process any fruit whose value is reducing to avoid loss. If you allow them to eventually get spoilt you may loss or your profit will reduce.
- Keep your business environment neat. Flies like perching on spoilt fruits make sure you dispose waste properly and quickly.
- Package fruits in attractive transparent takeaway plates for a good patronage.
- Buy in bags or from farmers
- Identify where to purchase fruits for sell before starting.
How to Preserve Fruits
- It is difficult to preserve fruits, however keep them away from sun heating directly. Cool environment is best to keep fruits, such as under shade.
- Wash and dry so that bacterial will not act quickly on them.
- Remove spoilt or soft fruits from strong ones.
- Some can be preserved in the fridge for a few days example Apple.
Fruit business is a viable business that will keep giving you money every day. Buy directly from fruit farmers or distributors. You can start small and grow it. The business does not require qualification before you can start.