Meat pie business is a fast-moving venture with marginal profits. This is a snack that is well-loved by all; children, youth and adult eats it. Some people even take it in place of food when they are hungry. Snacks business generally is very lucrative, the profit is 80% and above.
This is not a Nigeria thing only every other country are into it. If you want to know how lucrative this business is; then going to Mr. Biggs and other fast food joints to find out how people are rushing it will convince you..
Often you will hear people ask, ‘between Mr Biggs meat pie and Chicken Republic which is the best?’. It is a quick snack that is used at functions, events and parties such as naming ceremony etc.
READ ALSO: How To Start Snacks Business In Nigeria
These days many restaurants are now into bakery, displaying their meat pie in a show glass. Mobile mini snacks spot can be found everywhere because the rate of consumption of this product is steadily increasing every day due to our growing population. Meat pie is a mixture of flour, baking powder and other ingredients with carrot, minced meat as filling.
In this post we shall be looking at; how to prepare meat pie that is best for the business., marketing strategy, why you should do meat pie business etc. To start the business look for an experience professional in this field to be trained.
TOOLS NEEDED IN THE PREPARATION OF MEAT PIE
- 2 baking sheets
- A pastry brush
- Rolling pin
- Bowls for mixing
- Round dough cutter
HOW TO PREPARE MEAT PIE
RECIPE FOR DOUGH
- Flour 500g (5 cups)
- Baking powder 1tsp
- Salt 8tsp
- Butter 250g
- Cold water for mixture
- Minced meat 300g
- Onion 1 (sizeable)
- Curry 1 teaspoon
- Garlic 1 teaspoon
- Carrot 2 sizes
- Irish potato 3 sizes
- Pepper to taste
- Stock cube 1
- Thyme to taste
- Salt ½ tsp
- Vegetable oil 2 cooking spoon
- Egg 1
HOW TO PREPARE FILLING
- Grind (mince) the meat
- Chop onions and set aside
- Peel Irish potatoes, wash and cut into cubes together with your already washed pepper and scrapped carrot.
- Put the oil on fire, set the fire to medium (not too high nor low).
- Add the chopped onions and garlic into the hot oil and fry until it looses its pink colour
- Put 1 cup of water into the content
- Add thyme, curry, the stock cube and cover
- Allow to boil for about 10 minutes
- Add sliced carrot, potatoes and salt to taste
- Allow to boil until the vegetables are all cooked
- Dissolve 2 tablespoon of flour in a half cup of cold water
- Mix well and add it to the fillings in the pot, stir well until it is well harmonised
- Put off the heat and leave it to cold.
Hire Eno Johnson
Do you like our contents? you will definitively love our services. Reach out to us today and we’ll help you on content writing, copywriting, business plan, editing, proofreading mentoring and business management.Talk to Eno Johnson now!
PROCEDURE FOR THE DOUGH
- Put the sieve flour in a big bowl
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder, a pinch of salt and mix thoroughly
- Add margarine and mix well, until the mixture looks like crumbs of bread
- Gradually add water bit by bit untill you get a rough dough (if it is too dry add water but if too damp add flour).
- Knead the dough a little and leave it to rest for about 20 minutes. Some people puts it in the fridge to make it very smooth
- Pre heat the oven for 17 `C (335) degree
- Roll the dough with rolling-pin on the table or flat surface. Don’t make it thin or heavy cut it to a circle shape ( you can use the cover of a non sticky pot if you don’t have dough cutter)
- Put 1 teaspoon of the filling in the middle of the round dough
- Rub the already whisked egg at the edge of the cut out dough using pastry brush and close it well with a fork to form a half-moon shape
- Rub egg again on the body of the folded meat pie so that it can come out sparkling and appealing when baked
- Rub margarine on the baking tray
- Bake meat pie for 40-45 minutes
In case you don’t have oven, use stove or charcoal fire. Place a big pot with stones at the bottom on fire. Some people use sand it normally produce odour that is why stone is preferred. Place the meat pie in a tray or pan after rubbing margarine or groundnut oil. Bake until the colour turns brown.
WHY YOU SHOULD DO MEAT PIE BUSINESS
- It is easy to start, with little experience you are good to go.
- It is a highly demanded snack apart from the fact that you can sell it any day any time, You will also sell in large quantities as well because it is not costly. Meat pie can be sold between #100-#200 depending on the location and outlet.
- It is a small business that can be started from home.
- Meat pie business can be started with little capital such as #20,000
It has good profit
PROFITABILITY/ CAPITAL NEEDED TO START MEAT PIE BUSINESS
Meat pie business as already said is profitable but you can increase profit by buying things in bulk. You will make from 50% and above on profit returns. If you can have up to 20 places you supply to and make #1,000 gain for each (20 × 1,000 = #20,000), then you are on your way to success.
Such amount in a day is a good enough business to concentrate on.
As I said you can start on a small-scale with #20,000 but #100,000 and above on a larger scale.
Start by baking for friends, colleagues in the office, religion members, family members etc. If you do it well they will be the ones to direct traffic to you.
The target markets are shops, motor parks, schools, offices, open markets, restaurants etc. You can set up a mobile mini spot for people to manage for me. Supply to other sellers by reducing the price so the can keep patronising you.
Advertise your product, print flyers and share. Use online marketing handles.
- Make your snacks to be very delicious, to make meat pie very crusty you can add more butter,milk or water.
- Locate a busy spot or where population is high and sell your snacks
- Set daily, weekly and monthly targets.
- Have a good marketing strategy
- Look for many places you can be supplying
- Be consistent.
Meat pie business is a rewarding business so start yours today.
Please follow us on Facebook, and Twitter. Use the comment box for your questions and get a prompt response and don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter below, just enter your name and email address.
Lastly, if you enjoyed this post, why not share with it your friends by making use of the share buttons below the newsletter form! In case you want us to write on any other topic, please let us know in the comments section or contact us.
We appreciate your support Thank you